Diana McQueen was elected to her second term as a Member of the Legislative Assembly for Drayton Valley-Devon on April 23, 2012. On December 13, 2013, she was sworn in as Alberta’s Minister of Energy. Prior to this appointment, she served as Minister of Environment and Sustainable Resource Development (ESRD).
Mrs. McQueen’s work has focused on integrated resource management. Under her leadership, the department took decisive action on a number of issues important to Albertans, including:
- Implementing Alberta’s first regional plan under the Land-use Framework, the Lower Athabasca Regional Plan;
- Partnering with the federal government to implement a comprehensive environmental monitoring program in the oil sands region;
- Working to strengthen Alberta’s relationship with Asia to facilitate trade of forest products and share best practices and learnings;
- Spearheading the creation of a single regulatory system for all oil and gas developments in Alberta; and,
- Creation of an arms-length Provincial monitoring agency for air, land, water and biodiversity with a science advisory board.
Prior to her ministerial appointments, Mrs. McQueen served as Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Energy and the Minister of Environment.
She has served as Mayor of Drayton Valley and chair of the regional school division. She also work worked for Amoco Canada Petroleum and ran her own business for many years.